Choosing Pet Health Insurance in Japan
There are quite a few companies that offer pet health insurance (ペット保険, petto hoken) these days, but it can be difficult to choose the right one. I recently read an article in a local magazine that recommended finding out about the following before signing up for any pet insurance plans.
1. What animals are covered?
2. How old must the animal be to start receiving coverage? Is there an age beyond which the animal is not eligible?
3. Will you receive a set amount (e.g. per day or per illness) or will the insurance cover the full amount of the treatment?
4. Are any limits placed on the amount that you can receive?
4. Is there a limit on the number of consecutive days an animal can receive treatment or be treated as an in-patient in a clinic?
5. Does the insurance cover cancer and operations?
6. Do you need to produce receipts or death certificates?
7. Are there any discounts based on having multiple pets, the age of the pet, or the owner having a disability?
I had a pet insurance plan when I lived in Canada, but I have not found a suitable one here in Japan yet. I did some research a few years back and couldn’t settle on one, but the pet boom has since exploded, so perhaps there are more options out there now. If anyone has any recommendations about pet insurance plans in Japan, please let us know in the comments!
- Posted in: Pet Insurance